2022 WAWOS Wishes recipients
Posted Jan 5, 2023 by Jacquie Robison
Both community and connection are magical, strong, and positive forces for each of us -- whether in the nonprofit arena or the for-profit sector. But, they don't happen by magic. Intentional, thoughtful, and consistent outreach is an important part of the WAWOS ethos, where "community over competition" is one of our organization's core values.
The power in building community is so significant: introductions to new people and organizations with interests and missions aligned with WAWOS, build a great network of people who are passionate about making the world more inclusive and accessible for all. In some cases, theses orgs are as young as WAWOS, and in others, they've been working for decades to grow their programs and their impact. Either way, they each have great stories to share. There's an open exchange of ideas about programs that have thrived, and, equally important, programs that didn't quite work the way they had hoped. Each conversation provides wonderful teachings and takeaways.
One of the criteria of being a WAWOS Wishes directed gift recipient of $2500 is that each qualifying nonprofit in the US must provide activities or adventures for kids with physical disabilities and mobility impairments. That provides WAWOS with an opportunity to let other families know about incredible adaptive programs across the country. We love amplifying the amazing work they're doing, and we often hear that we've helped another family learn about a resource they weren't aware existed.
Throughout the year, WAWOS uses social media to call for nominations, and we announce the recipients beginning in late November, on Giving Tuesday.
We're delighted to share the 2022 WAWOS Wishes recipients:
1. Wisconsin Adaptive Sports Association in Wisconsin
2. Arizona Disabled Sports in Arizona
3. Adaptive Sports for Kids in Texas
4. KEEN New York in New York
5. Turnstone in Indiana
6. Adaptive Adventures in Colorado
7. Coastal Adaptive Sports in South Carolina
8. Hubbard Street Dance in Illinois
9. Dreamscape Foundation in Florida
10. AccesSurf in Hawai'i
11. SoCal Adaptive Sports in California
12. Nebraska Adaptive Sports in Nebraska
13. Rally Cap Sports in New Jersey
14. ABLE Youth in Tennessee
15. Pennsylvania Center for Adapted Sports in Pennsylvania
16. Wichita Adaptive Sports in Kansas
17. Prairie Grit Adaptive Sports in North Dakota
18. Adaptive Sports Northwest in Oregon
19. Challenge Air for Kids & Families in Texas
We're sending so much gratitude to each of these registered 501(c)3 orgs for the important and engaging work they're doing to make adventure accessible for everyone.
Are you ready to nominate a nonprofit in your community to be considered for a 2023 WAWOS Wishes directed gift? Visit us on Instagram (@wawosorg) and click on the link in our bio, OR email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheers to a wonderfully inclusive 2023!
This entry was posted in community, wawos wishes and tagged ##adaptivesport